Thursday 16 February 2012

Nice words

Do you ever find your self drawn to something just because of the way the name or words sound?

We have been having this discussion today in relation to place names. I always found my self wanting to visit the place Roald Dahl lived and worked, partly because I love his work as an author but also because I love the way 'Great Missden' sounds. Similarly I always wanted to live in a place called Giggleswick which is local to us. Wouldn't it be great to have Giggleswick on your postal address, it never fails to bring a smile to my face. Or even Wigglesworth, that would be equally great

Take this a step further, it even affected me when shopping for an e-reader. I would have loved to buy a Nook (unfortunately not practical in the UK), just for the way it sounded, fortunately my new Kobo sounds just as good!

Is there a word that you love the sound of? Do you find yourself affected by the sound of something when shopping, or am I just strange?

1 comment:

  1. back when I wasn't vegetarian, I was grocery shopping and heard over the loud-speaker that "Popcorn Chicken" was on sale. I'd never heard of that before, but the image in my head was divine. Light and fluffy but greasy and meaty...mmm.

    And I agree with you, that Giggleswick would be awesome to have in my address.

    ReplyDelete

Penny for your thoughts

PS Thanks for taking the time to stop by