Thursday 10 May 2012

Ranodm Thursdays - The return of homework!

You all know I have a huge blog crush on a fantastic blog Kicking Corners, she had me at fairies. Any way I digress. This lovely lady is taking a break to concentrate on writing, wish I had the will power but I'm just too nosey! In the meantime she has set homework :-/ I was never a fan at school, college or university. But hey ho, this sounds like fun, and seems like a great way to spend my random Thursday!

Writing
view original here

Here goes: First read this article done, now I just have to get the other half to read it!!!

Next, blog answering the name-thing let's see...

'What's in a name?' Hmmm, my brain wants to say nothing. At the end of the day I would still be me if I wasn't called Alison. Strawberries would still be sweet and juicy if somebody had called them heart berries. However, let me tell you the story of my youngest's arrival.

It was Christmas, Harriett (the oldest) decided it would be a good idea to ask Santa for a baby sister; boy does she regret that request now! Any how, we didn't think much of it at all. Until a few months later and the nursery staff questioned me one evening; did I have something to tell them? ermm, 'I don't think so, why?' They then produced a picture Harriett had drawn of mummy, daddy, harri and baby sister in mummy's tummy! 'Oh' was my reply, 'not that I know of.' Two weeks later we found out I was expecting! The usual conversations came over the next few months, girls and boys names were chosen. We even took Harriett to a 3D scan to see the imminent arrival on the telly, where it was confirmed a little lady was on the way. Grace Elizabeth it would be, until.....
A couple of weeks before she was due to arrive I sat bolt upright, all of a sudden and blurted out:

'This baby cannot be called Grace, she will not be full of grace.'

Hormonal panic set in, what were we going to call this little bundle when she arrived? Various ideas were bounced around, some returning time and time again like a rubber ball, being rejected and returning in the next discussion as a consideration. Finally, inspiration struck, why didn't we just ask Harriett? She asked for this little bundle, she knew before we knew, so why not?

'Ellie, I want to call her Ellie'

And so Eleanor, shortened to Ellie, arrived to complete our family (late, as is the family tradition!).

Call it mothers intuition but our little Ellie is no Grace, although she still holds on to it as her middle name. Our little lady has no fear and is often termed the 'honourary boy' of the family. The name 'Grace' conjours images of a sweet and innocent, well behaved little angel, rightly or wrongly! I am so glad that my subconscious kicked in to let me know we had made the wrong choice before she was born.



So what's in a name? Years of history, association, prejudice and emotion. We just can't separate the two, no matter how hard we may want to. Sometimes our heart rules over our brain!

Next, Alison, what's the meaning of my name? It has so many:
'of noble birth', cool!
'Honest', yup, to a fault!
'Sweet', so some say, occasionally.
'Son of all', well that one is a bit below the belt, comments like that could start a fight!
Then we get to the 'variation of Alice', you don't say!
This one I didn't know 'variation of Louise: battle famous', interesting...

Finally, answer a few questions; are the multiple choice??

1. What are you listening to right now? - My rock play list, it was appropriate to some proof reading I was doing for a friend!
2. Do you like your handwriting? - Only when I take the time to write neatly.

3. If you were another person, would you be friends with you? - I hope so, I always try to offer the traits I would like to see in a friend.
4. What’s your favourite breakfast? - Porridge with chocolate chips in (mmm now I'm hungry)
5. The first thing you notice about people is…  - I don't really know, sometimes hair style, mostly shoes.
6. In what way are you irrational? - Almost everything at that time of the month!
7. If you needed a kidney, who would be the first person willing to donate one to you? - My other half, and I for him.
8. Where’s the farthest you’ve been from home? - California, as a child and I can't wait to go back!
9. Scary movies or happy endings? - Happy endings, always.
10. What makes you feel young? - My kids, when they are not making me feel really old.
11. Do you believe everything happens for a reason? - I can't not believe that things happen for a reason, given how I met my husband (see yesterdays post).
12. What’s something you aren’t? - Confident in my own abilities.
13. If you had next Monday off from all responsibilities and expectations, what would you do? - Write!!
14. Do you always smile for pictures? - No, I don't particularly like how it makes my face look.
15. What would you be willing to literally fight for? - My children's well being and happiness (the joke in our family is that perspective boyfriends will have to get through me not Dad!)
16. What is your all-time favourite joke? - Why did the feather cross the road? To get to the chicken! (courtesy of Harriett)
17. Wonderland or Oz? - Wonderland (it has to be really given the meaning of my name!)
18. What’s the story of your first kiss? - see yesterdays post.
19. How do you explain déjà vu? - Things I have dreamed before they happen.
20. What’s the coldest you’ve ever been? - No boiler in the middle of winter and having to wear gloves and bobble hats in bed!

Wow, that is an awful lot of me! Are you all bored yet?? If you are interested in how others have done with their homework, head over to Kicking Corners and have a peek in the comments, follow the links of all the teachers pets who have already put their links there. And that is precisely where I am off. Laters xx

6 comments:

  1. I love the story of Ellie's name.
    What is porridge made from? Is it oatmeal? I think it's interesting how we speak the same language, but have different words for things (bobble hats- like stocking caps?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I always forget that some of you lovely readers are from across the pond. You would think I would be used to this as my uncle lives over in Michigan! (Dippers always got me, especially the first time my uncle asked me to help change my cousins dipper, I wondered what the hell we were up to and after the smell I was wiser about agreeing to things I didn't fully understand!!!)

      Porridge is made from rolled oats and milk so, guessing here a little, sounds like it could be the same as oatmeal.

      Bobble hats, I think a visual aid could be easier here, so I will post on in my blog tonight.

      Delete
  2. Porridge and chocolate chips? Sounds good for a late night snack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm it does make for lovely comfort food!!

      Delete
  3. "'Son of all', well that one is a bit below the belt, comments like that could start a fight! " Haha! Awesome. What a great take on this part -- choosing multiple meanings of your name and putting your spin on them and how they apply to you. Such a good idea.

    Love the story and picture of your little Ellie -- and how cool is it for Harriett that she had such a huge part in the whole thing. Also love that Ellie holds on to Grace in her middle name, that by keeping it you're/she's redefining grace into something more realistic and lovely.

    And I love that you answered all 20 questions. This is what I hoped people would do, because I'm very curious to find out who my blogging friends are, but it seemed like a lot to ask. But you did it anyway. *Sigh* So fabulous.

    Thanks for taking the time and effort to do this post. It makes me so happy. If grading applied (I always thought the grading system was/is hugely flawed...) I would definitely give you an A++, or whatever's above the top score :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A* is the top i this country, and I'll take that. I never acheived that high whilst at school!

      Funnily I wasn't going to answer all the questions but just got a little carried away, I too love these kinds of posts, like I said just too nosey and love finding out more about my online friends! Hoping we get to hear your answers when you are back from your sabatical, which I hope is going well for you!

      Delete

Penny for your thoughts

PS Thanks for taking the time to stop by