Friday 28 December 2012

Day 28 NaBloPoMo December - Hansel and Gretel

A couple of weeks ago I asked everyone what their favourite fairy tale is and my twitter pal Anna told me her favourite is Hansel and Gretel. Mainly because of a certain Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode that was based on the fairy tale.

My plan was to re-write peoples favourite tales, kind of like story telling for the next generation, however....I don't know if it is the season, the tale it's self or the inevitable adverts for charitable causes that surface around this time of year. But I just can't seem to get an angle on this one to re-write it...

The only thing that pops into my head is how fairy tales are all about the loss of innocence; of growing up, taking responsibility and the horrors the world can hold. I wonder if this is how the stories began in the beginning?

Hansel and Gretel; was this a tale to try and explain that when times are hard people get desperate, or is it a tale to tell children that parental love is not a given? Either way there is a certain encouragement to grow up, for the children to become responsible for their own fate.

I think maybe I just don't relate to the adult characters in the tale and that is the reason I have struggled to re-write this?? I cannot understand how parents can possibly consider abandoning their children. I know if food was short I would pull an Erin Brockovich and watch my babies eat and go hungry myself, the thought of abandoning them in the forest would not even cross my mind. Plus growing up before their time is something I never want for my children, been there...done that...got the t-shirt and it went baggy!

So apologies to Anna, I meant for you to get a lovely Sleepy re-write and you got my rantings instead. As a sweetener....

 
You can still let me know you favourite fairy tale, either in the comments or click on the 'you want me' tab for other ways to contact me. Fairy tale Friday's will still be appearing in January, just maybe not every week. Stay tuned for the post NaBloPoMo line up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts

PS Thanks for taking the time to stop by