Thursday 7 February 2013

February

I don't hate, or at least I try not to and currently I am trying really hard not to hate February!

So many people say January is the worst of the 12, filled with post holiday depression and resolution failure. For me January is just another month, February on the other hand I could hate!

Aside from being a cold and often very wet the month never it fails to give me at least one bad memory, year on year something goes wrong. Just so as not to disappoint this year things started to go down hill on the 1st! I am sure there are other months that are also great harbingers of doom but for some reason they don't seem to stick in my mind as much, or more to the point they don't attach themselves to a month so readily.

You'd think in a month where you are compelled to eat huge piles of pancakes and should complain to the love police if a box of chocolates doesn't cross your path mid-month there would be plenty to keep my spirits up. But alas, even the presence of cupid flitting around doesn't lift my mood, in fact he has learnt to fly elsewhere lest the arrow be flung back at his perky little arse!!



The anniversary of my Dad's death really doesn't help matters, 24 years and it still hurts like someone has ripped my heart out. But do you know I think all the crap that happens in February looks even worse through the shit tinted glasses of increasing age! Yep that's it, it all looks worse because I am a year older. Someone had better shoot me before I get to 80, I don't want to see what the world looks like in that February if it is this bad now.

The other option I guess would be to hibernate every February....28 duvet days in a row.....Now that sounds like a plan!! Or had I better do the same as I do every year....Fake smile at the ready! But I am still not celebrating Valentines day! (you will just have to imagine the sulky 'bah humbug' face!!)

At least February is the shortest month, thank the Gods for small mercies!!


Because some wounds will never heal!


10 comments:

  1. 28 duvet days in a row...and suddenly I understand the true meaning of heaven.

    Sleepy Joe. Happy birthday, sweet lady. Shit tinted glasses or no, I'm so immeasurably blessed and happy to know you, and to have you in my life. This post is a perfect example of how perfect you are to me -- sassy, smart, sad -- you capture so many emotions in such a small space and it helps me see life from a better perspective.

    Thank you for being brave, and for being you, and for sharing.

    P.S. Breakfast tomorrow is officially going to be a big pile of pancakes. Mmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much sweetie, my little inbox presents from you do make me smile sooo much! I feel equally blessed to have you in my life too ;-)

      Delete
  2. 28 duvet days does sound heavenly. I'm not a huge fan of the month either, though for different reasons. Sending you all kinds of warmth this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs back at ya, we are lucky at least that it is the shortest month ;-)

      Delete
  3. March is the month I dislike the most. I cut February a break, and lump it together with winter, but in March I start to think of spring, and March around here is not really spring like!

    My dad passed away 34 years ago this last September, and even as I write that I think that can't be right, it can't have been 34 years. Sometimes that loss just kicks me in the guts with unexpected force. Time gives perspective, I guess, but sometimes the perspective sucks.

    The good news is we are 7 days into February, only 21 to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time gives perspective, very true, but I'm never sure it heals...you just happen to get used to the hurt, every now and then we the hurt creeps around our defences.

      Delete
  4. Chin up love - 21 days to go. Happy Birthday hun; I'm that year older than you and the wrinkles are here but like I say its just another day. Get your crappy month over and enjoy the other 10! Big hugs x x Can't stop giggling at the way you say it hun, oh yeah and the vision of cupid with his perky behind <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the Birthday wishes hun and the hugs. We need a catch up, preferably without perky little behinds ;-)

      Delete
  5. Your dad must have been a marvelous man. I'm with you on the February sucks thing. But I really hate all months that aren't June, July or August.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily I love the weather in winter and the summer months are my least favourite weather wise.

      The memories I have of my Dad are few and far between now but yeah he was ace!

      Delete

Penny for your thoughts

PS Thanks for taking the time to stop by