Friday 13 June 2014

Just a chip

A Lesson in Smashing Plates
view original here

You have probably seen on the wider tinternet the meme or short conversation that can be view in full at the above link...the general gist is; if you smash a plate, then say sorry, will that fix it?

Now I've worked with the public since leaving university so I have developed somewhat of a thick skin. Don't get me wrong, once upon a time peoples comments did cut through me like a samurai sword through butter, leaving me shredded and  lifeless. I came to realise after a while that most people were venting about their own situations and not being purposefully mean or hurtful. Slowly their comments and sideways glances started to wash over me until I stopped noticing them at all.

Few people still have the power to wound me with one comment; take me down like a plate from a shelf and shatter me. Sometimes if I'm lucky they just chip a corner and leave me functional; whole but damaged.

Mostly these aren't people who intentionally want to break me...but does that make it any less hurtful? An analogy I know Tangled Lou will appreciate (because I know she hoards mugs), is it any less upsetting when you accidentally drop and smash your favourite mug?

The only problem is, attempted breakages from strangers at work (in the past mostly) or from "friends" when I was younger where ten-a-penny. Even when they had an effect on me picking myself up from those was easy. But how do you pick yourself up from the surprise attack that cuts deep? The one you didn't see coming, the one that's left you doubting and questioning yourself for the first time in a long time. I'm not sure I know that answer to this one!

Be careful which plates you chose to smash, it may be someones hard earned confidence!

One of my favourite songs in a new found acoustic version :-)

2 comments:

  1. lovely piece of writing Alison, and something I think we can all relate to. Words can be very wounding and once out can't be taken back in. The other side of it is that sometimes an unexpected positive comment can really lift us -Hang on to those because I'm sure you get many more of those , you are hard working, creative, respected and highly thought of. J x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that is so lovely. And I am so privileged to have people around like you with said unexpected beautiful comments xx

      Delete

Penny for your thoughts

PS Thanks for taking the time to stop by